Monday, May 4, 2020

Uppumanga



The uppumanga that you see in the picture above is the one prepared by my dear amma. I remember the yummy ones my ammachi ( maternal grnadmonther) used to make too...
Making uppumanga is kind of a tradition back home that is followed every year during mango season. Those who have eaten this know what I am talking about :-)

This morning when I spoke to mummy over the phone, mummy said that she has started collecting the mangoes for making uppumanga for this year. I was reminded of the delicious ones that I ate last summer and remembered that I had pictures of the uppumanga that I had at my mom's house during the summer of 2018.  Before I forgot, I made sure I wrote down the recipe from mummy. Here it is...
  1. Naattu manga  - wash and pat dry ( Naattu manga are the smaller mangoes)
  2. Salt  - as needed
  3. Water - Enough to cover the mangoes
  4. Boil the water with the salt together and let cool.
  5. Once its cooled add it to the mangoes in a Bharani.
  6. Temper some red chillies, curry leaves, and uluva podi and once its cooled add it to the Bharani with the mangoes. Mix well and keep container closed for atleast for a month. Enjoy it !!!




No comments:

Post a Comment