Sunday, May 29, 2016

Pantry Ideas

I have had some requests from friends of mine, asking me to list the spices needed for asian ( mainly Indian) Cooking.  In this post, I am trying to add as much as details as possible for having a complete Indian Pantry. If I have missed out some stuff, please post it in the comments so it may be helpful for me and others who look at this.

So here are a few pics of my Pantry...











My kitchen has a comparatively small pantry, so I have to be wise to plan and keep things in such a way that I don't overstock or buy things that I already have, just because its hidden somewhere behind the big jars & bottles.

In the top most racks, where you see two baskets, one has the sauces needed for asian cooking.
These are the sauces and vinegars you'll find there:

  1. Soy sauce
  2. Worcestershire Sauce
  3. Sambal Oelek CHilli Paste
  4. Fish Sauce
  5. Sriracha Hot Chilli Sauce
  6. Hoisin Sauce
  7. Valentino Mexican Hot sauce
  8. Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce
  9. Oyster Sauce
  10. Frank's Red Hot Sauce
  11. Tabasco sauce
  12. White Vinegar
  13. White Cooking wine
  14. Apple Cider Vinegar
  15. Rice Vinegar
In the next basket, I have some basic baking stuff, I don't do much of baking. Not that I don't want to, I really want to, but I cannot imagine washing all those greasy bowls after the baking !!! So, I bake only on occasions.

Now the spices, whole seeds and powders I have in the pantry :

  1. Chilli powder
  2. Corriander Powder
  3. Tumeric Powder
  4. Garam masala Powder
  5. Cumin Powder
  6. Elachi Powder
  7. Fennel Powder
  8. Fenugreek Powder
  9. Nutmeg powder
  10. Cinnamon Powder
  11. Mustard Powder
  12. Pepper Powder
  13. Amchur Powder
  14. Idli Podi (Powder)
  15. Sambhar Powder
  16. Methi leaves
  17. Asafetida
  18. Mustard seeds
  19. Sesame seeds - white
  20. Sesame seeds - black
  21. Corriander seeds
  22. Fennel Seeds
  23. Poppy seeds - white
  24. Poppy seeds - black
  25. Cumin seeds - white
  26. Cumin Seeds - black
  27. Nigella seeds
  28. Ajwain Seeds
  29. Dry Red Chilli 
  30. Whole Spices 
  31. Elachi
  32. Cloves
  33. Cinammon Sticks
  34. Star Anise
  35. Mace
  36. Black Stone Flower 
  37. Bay leaves
  38. Pani Puri Masala
  39. Tandoori Powder
  40. Chaat Masala
Lentils

Toor Daal
Masoor Daal
Green gram Daal
Moong Daal
Channa Daal ( For vada, tempering)
Pottu Kadala ( for Chutneys)
Urad Dhaal
Red Chori Beans
Rajma Beans
Black channa Daal
White Channa Daal

Flours

Rice Flour
Wheat Flour
Besan flour
Idiyappam Podi 
Puttu Podi
Semolina


Rice

Par Boiled Rice
Kerala Matta Rice
Basmati Rice
Idli Rice

Well, I guess that's pretty much it. Hope you find this useful !!!














No comments:

Post a Comment