Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Mathenga Errisery

Hmmm.... this "mathenga" itself brings back lot of fond memories. When my parents visited me last October, we went pumpkin picking  :-) . It was so beautiful to see the pumpkin farm and having my parents, my darling hubby and beautiful kiddos made it even more memorable. We didn't pick the orange pumpkins, because the previous year we picked them, I had to just watch it rot as I didn't have time to make anything with 'em and I hate to see food in any form go to trash. So this time, we picked green ones. Came home, my sweet papa, chopped them and put them into separate zip lock bags for me and stored 'em  in the freezer, so all I had to do was think of or research different recipes that I could make with all the pumpkin that was happily sitting in the freezer .


I think I'll post some pics of the pumpkin farm here, just makes my heart so full watching those pics.


So, now you can get a better picture in mind about the green ones and the orange ones.




Oh wait .... what was this post supposed to be about ? Oh yes ! I remember .... Mathenga Erriserry. Okay, then, back to Mathenga Erissery. Here is what I made yesterday. Enjoyed it with some yummy Kudampulliyitta Meen Curry and hot rice.... What more could I ask, for a tasty fresh lunch with all the fond memories.






Recipe


What you need to get started:

Pumpkin
Van Payar
garlic - 3 cloves
Jeera  - 3/4 - 1 teaspoon
Coconut Oil - 2-3 tablespoons
Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves
Dry red Chillies -3-4
1 whole coconut ( small one) grated. Keep aside 2-3 tablespoons for tempering in the end.
Tumeric -  1/2 teaspoon
Chilli powder - 1 teaspoon
Salt

So, this eriserry, I made with some van payar also and it just tasted awesome and of course, more healthy food goes in. I didn't soak the van payar earlier.

1) Cook the chopped pumpkin, with some van payar , salt, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric and 1 teaspoon chili powder in a pressure cooker with 1/2 -3/4 cup of water. After 4-5 whistles switch off.

2) If there is too much water in the cooker, you can use this to grind the shredded coconut along with 3 cloves of garlic, 1 green chili and  3/4  - 1 teaspoon of Jeera into a smooth consistency.

3) Add the coconut mixture into the pressure cooker and let it boil.

4) Add the tempering over it, check salt and switch off

For tempering:

Heat 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil in a Kadai.

Add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add 2-3 dry red chillies and curry leaves and 2 table spoons of grated coconut and sauté without burning till the coconut becomes brown.

Add this over the curry.

No comments:

Post a Comment