Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Sambhar

I am so grateful to God, for Indu aunty . She gave me this wonderful awesome Sambhar powder and I love Sambhar, my entire family loves Sambhar and all who come and eat from my home ask me what powder this is. She grinds together 13 items and makes this home made Sambhar powder and nothing can beat its smell and taste . In Kerala, the Sambhars have almost all the veggies in the Sambhar ( exaggeration) but yes, a lot of veggies, but what I noticed in the Tamil Nadu sambhar is, they add one or two veggies and make different Sambhars with different veggies. They don't add all veggies into one. Well if you ask me which one I like..... its difficult to answer, the days I miss my mom and her cooking, I like it the Kerala style and the days I miss Chennai I like the Tamil Nadu style.

So, Indu aunty tells me, certain veggies don't go well with the other veggies in Sambhars. I love her so much, I like to believe what she says . She tells me when I make radish Sambhar, I shouldn't add pulli, the tomatoes should give the needed amount of pulli. Then carrot goes well with all the veggies.  Then brinjal and drumstick combination is marriage made in heaven and so much more. I love to hear her talk.



Anyways, the other day I made Sambhar with Mango, drumstick, Chow Chow, Laukey, tomatoes, Shallots and added Pulli.

First cooked the toor  daal in the cooker for 2-3 whistles .
In another kadai, heated some oil, sautéed all the veggies (except drumstick) green chillies, shallots, tomatoes, and 2 table spoons of Samabhar powder, turmeric powder, salt, curry leaves.
Added the above to the cooked daal and pressure cooked it for another one whistle.
Meanwhile cooked the drumstick separately and added to the rest of the veggies.
Then added the tamarind pulp. Let it boil well.
Finally added the tempering to the Sambhar.


For tempering:
Heat oil in a Kadai, add mustard seeds, let it splutter, Add dry red chillies, curry leaves, 2 shallots sliced, Asafetida.
Add it to the sambhar.
Garnish it with chopped Corriander leaves.

Enjoy it like a soup, or with rice, chappathi or idli/dosai



 Indhu aunty's Sambhar Powder:


  1. Kanja Mulaka - Red Chilli - gundu mulaka 1/2 kg ( dry roast it last - else you will be sneezing till the end ;))
  2. Dhanya - 1/2 kg - dry roast
  3. Manjal - 100 gms
  4. Jeeragam - 50 gms - DO NOT FRY
  5. Thuvaren Parippu  - 150 gms - DO NOT FRY
  6. Kadala Parippu - 150 gms - DO NOT FRY
  7. Kadugu - dry roast - 50 gms
  8. Vendayam - 2 tsps - Fry
  9. Sombhu -  dry roast 50 gms
  10. Curry leaves
  11. Rice ( Boiled Rice)
  12. Perum kayam
  13. Pepper - DO NOT FRY

Sambhar Veggie Combinations:

Beans Onion Tomato - Add pulli less for this.
Kathrika, Muringikka, Carrot (1), Onion Tomato - Add Pulli 
For Idli Dosa Sambhar - don't add pulli
Radish, Onion, Tomato
Pumpkin, Onion, Tomato








No comments:

Post a Comment